Saturday, December 8, 2007

Greg’s Reflection

Hello again all! It has been several weeks since our last post, we have been very busy as it is vacation time for the youth here and we are busy with training and Mountain Mission Trips, retreats, and other service projects, etc. We hope to have updates and photos up soon. But for this update we have something a little different.

On November 19 our community said goodbye to one of its members. Greg was here with us serving the people of Honduras for 6 months and returned to the States to finish school, discern his vocation, and Im sure, do a lot of his favorite activity: chilling. The following is his personal reflection on his time here. Greg you are already very missed and always in our prayers....


When I got off my plane in Tegucigalpa, I was shocked that I was actually in Honduras. The idea of coming here just seemed like nothing more than another half thought-out dream of mine that would never really be realized. But then I found my slacker self here. The only explanation I have for how I got down here is God wanted me here. I had wanted to come too, but when I saw I had to complete an application, do interviews, raise money, etc., I almost just gave up and forgot about it. But God somehow got me to do it and got me down to Honduras. And I think that is the most important thing of the many things I learned here; God’s Will is a mystery. I don’t understand it, but its going to happen anyways.

I had hoped to discover my vocation while I was here; but while I didn’t have an epiphany, I did feel and see God working in me more than more than ever before, far more. And I´ve learned to trust Him more and more. I know that I have a long way to go, but I also know that He is guiding me and will put me where He wants me when He wants to.

As for my time here in Honduras, I enjoyed it immensely. Some highlights: Growing my beard out. Playing late night soccer and basketball with the friars. Mass, everyday. Repeatedly getting humbled on the soccer field by 12 year olds. Visiting Fr. Max in the mountains. Riding in the back of trucks though the mountains, early in the morning. Spending time with the people in the mountain villages, especially in San Antonio. Witnessing the simple and very beautiful faith of the Honduran people in spite of great suffering. Visiting and talking to Marta. Getting Dengue fever, which I am probably going to brag about for the rest of my life. Living and working so close to the friars and seeing their faith everyday. Licuados. Just working and hanging out with my mission brothers and sisters. Learning how to pray. Never losing a game of volleyball, especially not to Carol. Pan de Vidas and Eucharistic Adoration......I could go on, but the most important thing that happened to me here is that I think I grew closer to God. Not very close, but closer. And ultimately that is all I wanted or want.

No comments: